Jamie Parson was named chief diversity officer at Appalachian State University on May 13, 2022, after a national search. She held the position in an interim role from May 2021–May 2022.
Parson is also an associate professor in the Department of Finance, Banking and Insurance at App State. Prior to being named interim chief diversity officer, she taught undergraduate courses in business law and insurance. In addition, she led the Walker College of Business’ Inclusive Excellence Team (formerly Diversity Advisory Team), as well as the Risk Management and Insurance diversity initiatives in the Brantley Risk and Insurance Center. She also serves on numerous boards and committees, including the university’s Diversity and Inclusion Accountability Team.
Before coming to App State, Parson served as a Title VII investigator for the Nebraska Equal Opportunity Commission and a special investigative unit liaison and fire claims representative at State Farm Insurance Co.
As chief diversity officer, Parson:
- advises the chancellor on strategic diversity matters;
- leads the university’s Diversity and Inclusion Accountability Team, the Chief Diversity Officer’s Advisory Board and the Chancellor’s Student Advisory Board for Diversity Recruitment;
- liaises with students, faculty and staff regarding diversity, equity and inclusion matters;
- leads training efforts; and
- serves as the lead implementer for the university’s strategic diversity plan.
Parson holds a Bachelor of Science in sociology-anthropology from Nebraska Wesleyan University and a Juris Doctor from the University of Nebraska College of Law in Lincoln, Nebraska.
Title: Chief Diversity Officer, Associate Professor
Department: Department of Finance, Banking and Insurance
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-2460